Mosquitoes, horseflies and biting midges can ruin the perfect beach day. Any biting fly, really…
If you’ve ever been – then you know that they can swarm around and bite at all hours of the day and night. So, what do you do?
Take precautionary measures by applying bug repellent before going to the beach.
This will not only keep bugs away from you, but it will also keep mosquitos from spreading viruses like Zika or West Nile virus. When you’re packing up your beach gear in your zippered tote, toss this repellent in:
My favorite repellent
I’ve used this brand for many years to repel gnats and mosquitoes. Whenever I spray it on, all these annoying insects fly away from me, disinterested. Your skin doesn’t feel oily after using it, either. It’s a summer essential, so pack it up with all your other beach gear!
– The bug repellent is easy to apply and keeps the bugs away for hours.
The Five Best Beach Insect Repellents
#1. The Nantucket Spider Summer Camp Insect Repellent
This insect repellent is a natural, DEET-free product that is safe for children and adults. It contains citronella, lemongrass, and rosemary oil to repel mosquitoes, black flies, and other biting insects.
The pump bottle makes it easy to apply, and the 8oz size is perfect for taking with you on camping trips or outdoor adventures.
If you’re looking for an all-natural insect repellent that smells great, too, then this one from Nantucket Spider is a good choice.
It’s made with essential oils that are effective at repelling bugs, and the pump bottle makes it easy to apply. Plus, the 8oz size is perfect for taking with you on camping trips or outdoor adventures.
The Nantucket Spider Summer Camp Insect Repellent Features
- Natural, DEET-free product
- Safe for children and adults
- Contains citronella, lemongrass, and rosemary oil
- 8oz size is perfect for taking with you on camping trips or outdoor adventures
When buying an insect repellent, it’s important to consider the ingredients and how effective they are at repelling bugs.
This product from Nantucket Spider contains citronella, lemongrass, and rosemary oil, which are effective at repelling mosquitoes, black flies, and other biting insects.
The pump bottle also makes it easy to apply, and the 8oz size is perfect for taking with you on camping trips or outdoor adventures.
8oz size is perfect for taking on camping trips or outdoor adventures with you. This natural, DEET free product is safe for children and adults.
- Deet free
- Safe for children and adults
- Repels mosquitoes, black flies, and other biting insects
- Pump bottle makes it easy to apply
#2. The OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellant Spray
The OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellant Spray is one of the most popular insect repellants on the market. The product is designed to repel mosquitoes, black flies, ticks, and biting insects. It is available in a 6 oz. Spray can or an 8-hour pump spray bottle.
You can use the OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellant Spray on skin or clothing. When using it on the skin, be sure to spray it on exposed skin and avoid contact with eyes and mouth.
When using it on clothing, be sure to spray it on the outside of the fabric. Avoid using it on delicate fabrics, such as silk or wool.
The OFF! Spray can also treat gear and tents. When treating gear, be sure to spray it evenly and allow it to dry before using.
When treating a tent, be sure to spray it inside and out and allow it to dry before using.
- Allethrin, Introduced from chrysanthemums
- Repels mosquitoes that may carry West Nile Virus and other diseases for up to 10 hours
- Treats gear and tents with insect repellant to protect against biting insects
- Contains 12% DEET
- The product is non-greasy; the odorless formula won’t stain clothing or damage equipment
Be sure to check whether an insect repellant is registered with the US EPA and look at how many % of DEET it has, as this will determine the length of time an insect repellant will work for you.
Buy a product that works for clothing and skin, such as Deep woods Insect Repellent Spray. Also, if your children are not comfortable with sprays, there is OFF! Clip-Ons which come in either a 3 or 6 pack and can be used inside or outside your home and last up to 12 hours.
There is also the option of wristbands which only give protection for up to 5 hours but can be worn by children easily because they like wearing them like bracelets.
The most important factor is the type of insect you are trying to repel.
OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellant Spray is a good choice for those looking for an insect repellant that will repel mosquitoes for up to 10 hours. It also contains 12% DEET and can be used on clothing or skin.
Keep in mind that it is not safe to use on the skin under the age of 12 months old, and it may not be effective at repelling ticks.
Additionally, it is flammable so take caution when using it around sparks or flames.
In addition, it repels mosquitoes that may carry West Nile Virus and other diseases. Can also repel black flies, deer ticks, chiggers, stable flies, sand flies, gnats, and midges.
- Repels mosquitoes for up to 10 hours
- Treats gear and tents with insect repellant
- The product is non-greasy; the odorless formula won’t stain clothing or damage equipment.
- Not recommended for use on infants under the age of 2 months old.
#3. The Natrapel 12-Hour Insect Repellent
As the name suggests, Natrapel 12-Hour Insect Repellent is a long-lasting repellent that can protect you from pesky insects for up to 12 hours. The product contains DEET, which is highly effective at repelling mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting insects.
Natrapel is also a non-greasy formula, so it won’t leave your skin feeling oily or sticky. And it’s safe for both adults and children, making it a great choice for family outings and camping trips.
If you’re looking for an insect repellent that will keep you protected all day long, Natrapel is a great option. It is affordable, easy to use, and highly effective.
- Weight: 6 ounces
- Repels mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting insects for up to 12 hours
- Contains DEET
- Non-greasy formula
- Safe for both adults and children
When buying a good insect repellent, it is important to consider the ingredients. Natrapel 12-Hour Insect Repellent contains DEET, which is highly effective at repelling mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting insects.
DEET isn’t the only ingredient in Natrapel, however. The formula also contains picaridin and soybean oil. Picaridin is also known to repel mosquitoes and other insects effectively. Soybean oil helps soothe skin that has been irritated by biting insects and their bites.
People who have used Natrapel 12-Hour Insect Repellent tend to like how long it keeps them protected from pests and its non-greasy formula.
Users also appreciate that this repellent is safe for use on gear and won’t stain clothing or melt jackets, fishing lines, or other synthetic materials when it gets hot out.
The Natrapel 12-Hour Insect Repellent, 6 oz, is best for anyone looking for an insect repellent that will offer powerful protection against bugs for up to or more than 12 hours.
And it’s safe for both adults and children, making it a great choice for family outings and camping trips.
- Contains DEET
- Non-greasy formula
- Safe for both adults and children
- Affordable price
- DEET formula provides powerful protection from bugs for up to 12 hours
- Safe on gear and will not melt jackets, fishing line, and other synthetic materials; also safe for gear with nylon, plastic, and metal
4. The Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Insect Repellent
The Sawyer Insect Repellent is a super concentrated insect repellent that treats fabrics and other surfaces for protection against mosquitoes, ticks, and other biting insects.
The 100% pure permethrin used as the active ingredient ensures this long-lasting formula not only repels insects it kills ticks and mosquitoes on contact.
Use clothing, tents screens, and much more to repel all types of insects, including those carrying West Nile virus, Lyme disease, encephalitis, and malaria. Not for use on skin.
- Kills ticks and mosquitoes on contact
- Repels insects including those that may carry West Nile virus, Lyme disease, encephalitis & malaria
- Even after several launderings, the fabric will retain 97.5% of its effectiveness
- Can be applied to clothing tents, screens, backpacks, sleeping bags, and other gear
- Non-irritating odorless formula won’t stain your clothes
- Can treat fabrics in 60 seconds or less
- Treats 66 square feet in 3 ounces
When buying insect repellent, consider the best option that will suit your needs. Sawyer Products offers several insect repellent options perfect for various climates and conditions.
For example, if you are going to be in a humid area with lots of rain, you might want something more durable than 30% DEET.
Alternatively, if you will be hiking in the mountains where it will likely be dry, 15% or 20% DEET is usually enough to do the job.
This product uses 100% pure permethrin as the active ingredient, which offers a longer residual than most other repellents.
In addition, it repels all species of mosquitoes, including those that may carry deadly diseases such as the West Nile virus.
No matter what your preference is when it comes to insect repellents, Sawyer is sure to have several high-quality options available.
Hikers, campers, and anyone who will be in a humid or wet environment.
- Long-lasting formula repels mosquito’s ticks and other biting insects for up to six weeks
- Longer residual than most other repellents
- Repels ALL species of mosquitoes, including those carrying West Nile Virus
- Permethrin is odorless after drying, so there is no unpleasant smell to contend with
Please note, permethrin-treated material may lose some repellency if washed or laundered; however, the product will maintain 85 percent repellent efficiency or more for weeks or more under normal conditions
- Not recommended for use on skin.
5. The Avon SKIN-SO-SOFT Bug Guard
The Avon Bug Guard can provide you with up to 10 hours of protection against mosquitoes and other insects.
It is also a non-greasy, lightweight lotion that will leave your skin feeling soft and smooth.
This insect repellent is perfect for use while camping, hiking, fishing, or just spending time outdoors. It can also be used on children’s skin, safe for daily use.
The Avon Bug Guard is also water-resistant, so it will continue to protect you even if you get wet.
- Provides up to 10 hours of protection against mosquitoes and other insects
- Non-greasy, lightweight lotion
- Leaves skin feeling soft and smooth
- Safe for daily use
When buying this Avon product, it is vital to consider the features that are most important to you. Some of the things you may want to consider include:
- The amount of time the product protects against mosquitoes and other insects.
- If the lotion is greasy or lightweight.
- How soft and smooth the lotion leaves your skin feeling.
- If the lotion is safe for daily use on children’s skin.
- How water-resistant the product is.
- The price of the product.
Once you have considered the essential features, it will be easier to decide which product fits your needs. Keep in mind that it’s a good choice for those looking for a reliable and long-lasting insect repellent.
Camping, hiking, fishing, spending time outdoors, and children’s skin. Also, it is an excellent choice for those who want an effective insect repellent that is also gentle on the skin.
- Provides long-lasting protection
- Gentle on skin
- Lightweight and non-greasy
- May be too strong for some people’s skin.
Hi, I’m Ryan Nelson! I live in the Hamptons, out on Long Island, near Ponquogue Beach. The beach is a place where I can find peace and serenity. It’s a place where I can sit and clear my head. The waves crashing on the shore somehow helps me to relax, while also reminding me that I am far from the stressors of daily life.