BeachRangers is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BeachRangers is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Underwater drones are basically remote-controlled submarines. Some are used for underwater photography or underwater filming but overall they have a wide range of use. These drones can enter deep waters and provide an immersive experience of the underground world to people with good video quality.
This is why along with marine biologists, people all around the world love underwater drones as it makes the experience so much more memorable. Luckily, there are sine underwater drones with a reasonable price that even you can buy. Here is everything that you need to know about underwater drones.
What is an underwater drone?
An underwater drone is also known as Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUV). As you know the underwater drone technology allows the drone to work underwater, without a human and without any hassle.
Drones are a type of robot and there are typically two types of underwater camera drones, which are listed below.
- Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicles (ROUVs): These as the name suggests are remotely controlled by humans.
- Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs): These are more advanced and can operate without any human input.
How do they work?
If you want aquatic drones, you should know how it works as well. This underwater robot is a very peculiar object and it would be a shame if you didn’t know a little about these drones work and give you a 3D video.
If you know how a submarine works well it is almost similar to how an underwater robot works as well. These, however, don’t have a crew and use their onboard sensors to function properly. More professional drones are used by having a direct connection between a ship and a drone. These don’t sink and have crush depths.
Either through a radio signal or another line, they have a connection to the control room from which they get operated by humans. The submarine drone all have different video capabilities, diving depth, battery life, and degrees of freedom. These factors depend on the price range as well as the range of accessories that it has.
What to look for
If you want a good underwater drone, here are some things that you should discuss beforehand. Almost all drones have video feed but very different functions as well. Therefore, before buying a drone keep these things in mind.
Lights and Camera
Usually, a drone has a camera that acts as your eyes and helps you see and navigate marine life and deep water.
Therefore, you should always look for a drone that has good light and camera quality as without these qualities the drone will be useless! Since you won’t be able to see or record anything properly anyway, so the average quality of the camera should be 720p video and should also have LED lights. Remember, the ocean is a dark place with no light so you will need to depend entirely on the light and camera ability of the drone to capture something interesting.
Next, you should look for tether length, but what is tether length anyways? Well, tether length minimizes the movement of the drone. Ideally, there should be a minimum diameter tether.
There are many types of tether as this helps the drone move and still stay within the signal range so you can control it. It should have a neutrally buoyant tether which should not require additional leads. Depending on how far you want your drone to go, the tether cable should be adjusted. Make sure to keep this point in mind before buying a drone as well.
Of course, this is one of the most important parts of a drone that you decide to buy. The video feed is what you will keep with you forever.
The point of a drone is to capture videos and images of the hard-to-reach parts of the ocean. The camera should be able to capture good quality videos without too much jerk so it is understandable. The video capability should be such that there is a total range of view as well instead of only one part of the ocean being visible. Picture, as well as video quality, should definitely be considered before buying a drone.
If the battery life is not long it can lead to the drone dying mid exploration and causing a lot of loss. So battery life is something you should not compromise on.
If you have an extra battery or swappable battery for your drone that is even better as you will be better prepared in case of emergency. Usually, there is about an hour or two of battery life for a good-quality drone. The battery life depends mainly on why you need a drone as for hobby this factor might not be that important but for professional use, you need a drone with optimum battery quality and life.
This again depends on what use you have for the drone and whether you will be using it for fun or for professional work.
Drones can either have a long-range or a short-range. A range is how far the submersible drone can travel underwater without facing problems like breaking down or losing the signal. Usually, a drone traveling up to 900 miles underwater is a good quality drone. The longest distance range of a drone is said to be up to 8000 feet! Of course, if for a hobby you don’t need such a long-range for your drone.
The Best Underwater Drones
Here are some regular drones that you should buy if you are looking for one. These are chosen by us after a lot of research. They all have a different price range so you can find the one that you love and can afford. Without any further due let’s get started.
Our Top Pick: The 150M Tether Titan Professional Underwater Drone
About: This robot costs about $2500 USD. It has both batteries and a remote controller included, the batteries are lithium-ion. As the title suggests, it can dive up to 150 meters underwater, so great for professionals who want to reach unattainable areas underwater. It also has a robot arm that helps pick things up.
- It has a high quality 4K UHD camera
- Has huge storage of 64G which can record and store videos
- Longer battery life than some drones of around 4 hours
- Powerful and also has replaceable parts
- The drone propellers can get clogged
- The app that controls it can sometimes lag
Best Value Option: The PowerVision PowerRay Explorer
About: This is an affordable option for someone who is just starting drone exploration, and costs around $900 USD. This is a good option for getting an immersive experience. It has batteries included as well as rechargeable batteries included, which are made up of lithium polymer.
- Can dive around 98 feet underwater
- It is much more affordable than other drones
- Has good storage with about 32GB of SD card
- The assembly and start-up can get complicated
- No shield or screen to protect the thruster motor so things can get stuck
- You have to activate the drone over the internet which is complicated
Most Portable: The Youcan Robot Underwater Drone
About: Another drone which is very portable as it is small and light. The drone can be bought for around $1400 USD. Moreover, it has great diving depth capabilities of about 100 meters. If you want a drone and travel a lot, this is an ideal drone that is worth the cost.
- The battery can last for long, which is 7 hours
- Has wide-angle lens, which can capture 130 degrees
- It looks great and is convenient to carry
- The customer service is not great
- Sometimes the tether has problems
To invest in a product, you have to know the various ways that you can use it as well. This is why here we have gathered some ways that you can use this gadget to enjoy your beach trips even more. The key is to find a good underwater drone and then enjoy the perks that it offers.
- For fishing: These drones can be used to ensure healthy fish crops as well as to ensure efficient harvest in a cost-effective way. Moreover, drones can also be used for net inspection, feeding, and stock monitoring of the fish. Needless to say, many fish farmers find the drone very helpful.
- For learning: Learning means many things. A person who uses drones as a hobby can learn more about underwater fishes, wrecks, and other unique things found. However, the government is using it to learn more about artificial intelligence and use it for more serious jobs due to the advanced technology used in these drones.
- For work: Believe it or not, drones are used in many industries around the globe. They are used for search and rescue missions, aquaculture, military, marine biology, oil, gas, recreation, and the discovery industry. Along with the ability to use these drones for exploration they can also be used for monitoring ports, vessels, and harbors.
- For fun: Most people use affordable drones for their everyday activities. You can find cheap drones that don’t have great image stabilization properties or a remote controller but they are still ideal for a wide variety of fun activities. You can see many things that a naked eye just would not be able to explore. It is a great time spending activity with friends and family as well.
- For research: One of the biggest uses of underwater drones is the ability to help with underwater research. These drones are usually small and can dive deeper than humans which means they can reach areas that were previously unreachable. It uses artificial intelligence so can have a steady position in the water all the time without human interactions.
Here are the answers to the most common questions regarding drones. With any new gadget, people have a lot of curiosity regarding this machine.
How deep can underwater drones typically go?
Of course, the length that these drones can travel depends entirely on the manufacturer. But typically a drone can reach depths of 50 meters to 200 meters. There is a lot of variation between these numbers because it entirely depends on the company you buy it from and how affordable it is.
What safety considerations when using an underwater drone?
There aren’t many safety hazards when using an underwater drone as they don’t need a crew and are controlled via remote control or an app. However, make sure to not use the drones close to humans as the motors can sometimes get stuck to their clothes and hurt them. It can also hit someone and cause injury so it is better to use it around an area without people for maximum safety.
How Fast Can Underwater Drone Go?
This again depends on the manufacturer and the price for which you are buying the drone. Moreover, the speed also varies depending on the water current, water temperature, weather conditions, and even on the number of thrusters that the drone has. If you want the average speed, keeping these factors in mind, then usually a drone can travel at 2 meters to 3 meters per second.
Thinking of adding one to your beach packing list? Here are some more options in drones that you can consider buying. As you know there are many variations in the market of drones so here are some more drones that might become the ideal one for you.
- PowerRay Wizard: This company has great drones. The drones have a good camera that can capture videos, images, and everything else. The drone has a battery life of about 4 hours and 98 feet of diving depth. Moreover, has video stabilization as well as front light properties. The drone uses an app to control it underwater.
- Robosea Biki: It uses an app to control the drone. You can instruct the drone and see everything that the drone sees through a real-time screen. It has a built-in charging design and is portable as easy to carry. Furthermore, you can swim with this drone as well as it has many different functions.
- iBubble Dive Camera: Unlike the other drones, this is a wireless drone and the first one to use this technology as well. It is automated and can avoid obstacles as well as follow to diver with no problem. It has 7 power propellers so can travel at high speed while also having good stability in the water. Basically, this drone is very easy to use, so if you are looking for a hassle-free robot, this is the one for you.
- Blueye Pioneer: Another high-performance drone that is fully certified. This machine can dive up to 150 meters underground and has a battery life of 2 hours, which is not exceptionally long but still acceptable. It has the ability to let multiple people observe the drone underwater through the app and has good customer service as well. In addition to that, has a thin tether and powerful lights to see in the dark.
- Chasing M2 ROV: This drone is mostly used by professionals so it is kind of expensive. There are a lot of add-on accessories available for the drone to make it better and more customized for your use. It has high speed and swappable batteries so it can last longer as well. The drone can dive up to 330 feet which are above average and also have a removable SD card so you can upload the footage anywhere you want.
- Aquarobotman Nemo: This was the first drone with a 4 thruster system, in 2016. It is not that expensive and has many uses including exploration and great underwater shooting. The drone has great underwater technology that makes the experience smoother. The company is a pretty simple one and always tries to improve underwater technology. If you want a simple and affordable drone, this is the perfect one for you.
Hi, I’m Ryan Nelson! I live in the Hamptons, out on Long Island, near Ponquogue Beach. The beach is a place where I can find peace and serenity. It’s a place where I can sit and clear my head. The waves crashing on the shore somehow helps me to relax, while also reminding me that I am far from the stressors of daily life.