With so many people photographing us, it’s essential to look good, especially if you’re going to be publishing Instagram pictures from the beach.
We’ve compiled some of our favorite beach poses for girls (and some for guys) as well as some tips to make yourself look great, even when your bathing suit is leaving little to the imagination.
Make sure you learn how to wear your hair at the beach so you look amazing in your photos!
Some of our favorite poses:
This is probably the most classic pose- just suck in that gut!
She almost looks like she’s about to be beamed up aboard an alien mothership. If you’ve got the athleticism, go for it!
Staring into the sun
Try staring into the sun (just not directly, or you’ll go blind!)
Cute beach towel selfie
Here’s a classic- just suck in that gut, once again! Check out how to get a sun-kissed, blonde surfer hair look like she has.
Hot beach chair selfie
Get that 3/4 angle on your iPhone- she looks like a real beach bum! A great pose when you’re by yourself.
Leaving the water
Laugh as you leave the surf- one of the best posing ideas.
Palm tree pose
Recruit a nearby tree for this sexy snap in your swimsuit.
For guys and girls, striking a bodybuilder pose can be pretty striking.
The sand toss
This girl is going to have some tar stains on her, for sure- learn how to get rid of beach tar from your skin so you don’t track it into your home!
The showroom pose
She must work in a car showroom!
Here are a few beach pose tips for social media success
1. Keep your legs together
While women can afford to keep their legs apart, men should keep them together. While this may be uncomfortable while sitting, it can help your body look its best when standing.
2. Pull your knees into your chest
When sitting on a beach towel or lying on the sand, use your arms to pull your knees close to you. This will make you look taller and slimmer.
3. Keep your arms and shoulders relaxed
When hanging out on the beach, you should not be stiff. Keep your shoulders and arms relaxed so that you look soft and approachable.
4. Never cross your legs
Wearing tight or revealing clothing will make it hard for people to get a good look at your legs when they stand up, especially when they are being photographed. So keep them closed!
5. Keep your back straight
When sitting or lying on the beach, avoid slouching or leaning into a chair. Keep your back straight and relax!
6. Don’t pull up your shirt
Wearing sleeveless shirts will help you look tanner and more relaxed. So let your arms fall at your sides instead of pulling them up and away from your body when you lie down.
7. Keep your hands relaxed
People will notice your hands more if you keep them relaxed and down. Try not to look like you are constantly holding something in front of you.
8. Take a few deep breaths
To look good in pictures, it’s essential to take a few deep breaths out on the beach. Deep breathing will make you look taller and slimmer, and since people usually stand away from the beach while they are shooting photographs, it will help you appear commanding and robust.
9. Keep your head up
When you are at the beach and see someone taking pictures of you, keep your head up, even if you don’t want to smile for the camera. Turning it down will make you look smaller!
10. Keep your eyes open
Lying on the beach makes it impossible for people to get a good look at your eyes. So keep your eyes open and make eye contact with the photographer. It’s easy to relax your face when you look at them.
11. Keep your arms relaxed
This tip has nothing to do with the previous one, but it is helpful to know if you are taking a picture, so your photographer knows exactly what to do! Keep your arms relaxed and down by your sides, and don’t hold them in front of yourself.
What Not to do When Posing at The Beach for Pictures
When posing for photographs, you should avoid these common mistakes:
- Don’t walk into the shot: If you are posing for a picture and you start approaching the photographer, turn your back and let them take the picture.
- Don’t be too serious: When people take pictures of you, they want to see you having a good time. If you are smiling but looking too serious, it will look unnatural in the picture.
- Don’t cross your arms: This does not mean to keep your arms down! Crossing them over yourself will make you look closed off and defensive.
- Don’t stand over the photographer: When you are standing in front of a photographer and take pictures of yourself, stand tall and bring your face level with yours. This will help to make your body look slimmer.
- Don’t smile so big: Even when you are happy, don’t smile so big that it makes your face look closed off. It will make you look nervous.
- Don’t push your face forward: If you are smiling, if you are uncomfortable with your smile, and if it won’t look natural in the picture, don’t push your face forward and make yourself look like a rabbit.
- Don’t make a hasty move: No one wants to see a hasty move when someone takes pictures. Take your time, walk slowly and calmly to the photographer, which will make you look more relaxed and confident.
Posing at the beach for pictures can be a challenge, but you will soon have it down pat with a bit of practice. When posing for pictures, remember to keep your body relaxed and avoid crossing your arms over each other, smiling so big that your face looks closed off, or making too much of a hasty move when someone is taking pictures of you.
Hi, I’m Ryan Nelson! I live in the Hamptons, out on Long Island, near Ponquogue Beach. The beach is a place where I can find peace and serenity. It’s a place where I can sit and clear my head. The waves crashing on the shore somehow helps me to relax, while also reminding me that I am far from the stressors of daily life.